At DS Smith sustainability is the foundation of our overall business strategy. We are building a better business, focused on delivering sustainable value to all of our stakeholders. To us, truly sustainable value is found when balancing the needs of Our Business, Our Environment and Our People.
Our core business is the design and manufacture of innovative, sustainable packaging solutions that consider the entire supply chain. Through product design and innovation, sourcing, manufacturing operations, customer supply cycles, end of life and recycling, we recognise that our operations have both direct and indirect impacts.
Demonstrating our commitment to operating ever more responsibly and delighting our customers, we value the chance to have our performance assessed by external organisations and benchmarks. We make annual submissions to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), EcoVadis and are SEDEX AB members. We are also listed on several environmental, social, governance (ESG) investment indices such as FTSE4Good and VigeoEiris.
We have nine ambitious, long-term, sustainability targets. It is through delivering against these targets that we look to achieve our corporate goal to lead the way in sustainability:Packaging impact
- Manufacture 100 per cent reusable or recyclable packaging by 2025, and grow our net positive recycling position.
- Use 100 per cent recycled or chain of custody certified papers by 2020.
- Ensure 100% of our suppliers comply with our sustainability standards by 2025
Carbon and energy
- Reduce our CO2e emissions by 30 per cent per tonne of production by 2030, against a 2015 baseline.
- Achieve zero water impact by 2030.
Waste and recycling
- Send zero waste to landfill by 2030.
- Build a diverse, engaged and respected workforce.
- Engage in community programmes at 100 per cent of our sites by 2020.
Health and safety
- Zero accidents.
- Vision zero harm.
Find out more about our targets here.