Closing the loop through better design
By 2030 we are aiming to optimise every fibre for every supply chain
Keeping materials in use for as long as possible is a key enabler of the circular economy. Closing the loop is our focus on designing our products to be reused and recycled.
By 2023 we will manufacture 100% recyclable or reusable packaging
- Training 100% of our designers in Circular Design Principles
- Making recyclability mandatory in New Product Development
- Monitoring and recognising progress through an internal certification scheme
By 2030 we are aiming for all our packaging to be recycled or reused
- Downstream traceability mapping of all our packaging
- Establish universal standards for the term ‘recyclable’
- Play an active role in influencing/shaping recycling infrastructure in markets where it’s less well developed
CASE STUDY - A fully auditable closed-loop model for Laithwaites
Laithwaite’s Wine is the UK’s No.1 destination for buying wine online and was one of our first customers to be awarded our Closed-Loop Certification. Together, we demonstrated a fully auditable and traceable closed-loop model for their cardboard arriving to their distribution centre. We have developed the right strategies so we can close the loop on over 1,000 tonnes of cardboard packaging, ensuring materials are kept in the supply cycle for as long as possible and that the maximum value is obtained. As well as removing plastic, our redesigned packaging offers protection from all the jolts and impacts of the courier delivery network.
How we apply our purpose
We tackle big challenges in the whole and not just one part to find answers that would otherwise be out of reach. From design to production and supply to recycling we offer our customers a joined-up solution that is sustainable for all.
Developing the right strategies
Our experts work closely with customers to understand their needs. Together we find ways to help take advantage of today’s opportunities to powerfully deliver products.
Explore our other targets
Now & Next Sustainability Strategy