Sustainability Report 2023
At DS Smith, sustainability is integral to our circular business model and we can have the greatest positive impact by helping to create a low carbon, circular economy.
2022/23 Performance Highlights
- 297 million units of plastic replaced with recyclable alternatives, bringing the total to 762 million since 2020/21
- More than 31,000 packaging design decisions influenced by our Circular Design Metrics since their launch
- -10% Total Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions compared to last year and -15% compared to 2019/20
- 5.5 million people engaged on the circular economy, bringing the total to 8.4 million since 2020/21
- Scope 3 Supplier Engagement Programme launched and joined the Supplier Leadership on Climate Transition Initiative
- 6% reduction in accident frequency rate (AFR) compared to last year
- New ambition announced as part of Now & Next Strategy to further our diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) agenda
- Platinum EcoVadis Sustainability Rating (world top 1% company)
- 73 S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment (CSA) score, increased from 67 last year and included in S&P Global’s Sustainability Yearbook for the first time
- 13 our of 15 of our paper mills running biodiversity programmes
- 100% of our sites with 50 or greater full-time employees undertook activities in their local communities this year
DS Smith ESG Databook 2023
Our databook is prepared to supplement the sustainability report for stakeholders who require a greater level of quantitative detail about the non-financial performance of DS Smith.
Download our ESG databook for a greater level of quantitative detail about our sustainability performance across a range of non-financial indicators.
Sustainability Report 2023 is our progress update on delivering against our Now & Next Sustainability Strategy, focused on the sustainability challenges we face today, as well as those that will impact future generations.