DS Smith wins Environmental Leadership Award at PPI Awards 2017
As the calendar year comes to a close, DS Smith was proud to wrap up another award win for Environmental Leadership at the Pulp and Paper International (PPI) 2017 Awards, hosted at the CEPI European Paper Week in Brussels.
DS Smith is delighted to receive external recognition for our commitment to building an ever more sustainable business. Operating ever more sustainably can provide opportunities for growth, support risk management, help our business operate more efficiently and enhance stakeholder relationships.
Henk Lingbeek, Sustainability Director of DS Smith Paper Division was present to collect the award hosted at the CEPI (Confederation of European Paper Industries) European Paper Week in Brussels. He shared the following thoughts:
“This award is a fantastic result celebrating all the work we are doing to improve our environmental performance. I am particularly pleased for our employees, as this award demonstrates the hours of hard work they have all contributed to energy, waste reduction, recycling, chain-of-custody certification to preserve our forests, and other projects across the whole of our business focussing on progressing further into a bio-based circular economy as an integral part of our DS Smith vision.”
See all the awards and finalists here
The award highlights DS Smith’s strong performance across many areas.
To mention just a few:
- An increase in CDP Climate Change module score (Management B) - reflecting our 8.1% reduction in CO2e per tonne of production against the previous year
- Multiple successful LED lighting case studies across the business – reducing energy consumption equivalent to 12 Packaging sites and potentially saving 18,360 tonnes of CO2e a year
- Rapid progress in our FSC® certification programme, reaching 85% of our target to be 100% certified across all in-scope sites by 2018
- Continued customer success stories in waste management – making us one of the largest recyclers in Europe, processing over 5 million tonnes per year
- And of course continued growth of our PackRight and Impact Centres - where we have been working with customers to reduce the environmental impact of their supply chains through Supply Cycle Thinking.
However there is still much work to do. As we strive towards our goal to Lead the Way in Sustainability, we will continuously challenge ourselves to make our own business, and our customers’ ever more sustainable.